Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Fooish inconsistency

Kevin Drum decries the most irritating thing about our haphazard, all-but-useless security screening at airports:

But for crying out loud, can't they make up their minds about what the policy is and then enforce it the same way at every airport in the country? I'd just like to know what they expect instead of playing a guessing game every time I get on a plane.


In the past year or so, I've been told that my sneakers don't have to be removed, because they won't set off the metal detectors, that my sneakers have to be removed, because they could set off the metal detectors, that a blazer needn't be removed, and that a blazer must be removed -- all in four different trips. No wonder nobody takes airport screenings seriously, or as anything but an annoyance between the curb and the plane.

No comments: