Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Re: Action Comics

I don't have the time to do a rundown of DC's September offerings (Short version: Yay for All-Star Superman and Showcase Presents: Phantom Stranger). But I do want to point out a near almost-homage. That month's issue of Action Comics, #843 for those of you keeping track, sports this Dave Gibbons cover:



And I can't help but wonder if it's a shout-out to this much, much older cover from Action Comics #52:



That cover jumped out at me years ago, when I bought a small book reprinting the covers of the first 300 issues of Action Comics. I always thought it would have been cool to revisit it as a cover during the Reign of the Supermen storyarc, when there were four would-be replacement Supermen running around the comics. In this case, there's not much similarity between the comics beyond the general concept of "Superman and allies run toward the reader" but it's still neat.

And it's fun to see the inclusion of Busiek's revamped Aquaman and Skyrocket, late of Power Company, included as well; I for one welcome nepotistic continuity when it involves creators I like.

No comments: