Friday, November 12, 2004

Well, SOME sequels don't suck...

Potentially good news: Pierce Brosnan will return for a sequel to The Thomas Crown Affair.

Potentially bad news: Rene Russo is not yet signed on.

Really freaking weird news:
According to Brosnan's producing buddy Beau St. Clair (who spoke with Variety), the sequel will try and examine the character of Thomas Crown in a "post September 11th" light.


Because, you know, 9/11 had such a huge impact on dashing international art thieves who are in it for the fun and return their stolen goods immediately. Look, if I go to a sequel to The Thomas Crown Affair, I'm going because I want to see a fluffy, exciting caper movie with a really weird romance between actual grown-ups in the mix. I'm surprised I have to explain this.

(Thinking about it, 24, with its intensely dark and paranoid spin on domestic and international politics, may be the only real piece of pop culture that truly gets at a post-9/11 mindset...)

No comments: