Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Serenity wow.

Last night She Who Must Be Obeyed and I attended the local preview screening of Serenity; I will not discuss whether my eagerness to attend this screening was informed partly by a desire to cut short the time during which I could not discuss the movie with her by three days. Without getting into the spoilers I so diligently avoided spilling in the three months since I saw an advance screening, I have to say that it's a terrific movie, even without the frisson of "I can't believe I'm seeing these people again!" that I had the first time I saw it, and I don't think people who have not seen the series will be lost. There's a rather large infodump at the beginning of the movie -- it starts with a dream sequence that turns out to be within a flashback that leads to the introduction of the film's villain, which I think is some sort of record. (She Who Must Be Obeyed found this harder to take than I did.)

What else can I say without giving anything away? It's a shame that so much this cast of incredibly talented people don't seem to have turned up in very much since the series ended, and I hope that their careers flourish in projects worthy of their skills. I believe that Gina Torres is not a human being, but a goddess of beauty sent from a higher plane to enlighten us all. Damn Fox for killing this show through sheer incompetence, and thanks to Joss and Universal for making this return happen. And despite the thrill that this movie is, I can't help but lament the fact that we were denied the chance to see these characters and their universe unfold slowly, over dozens of episodes and multiple seasons. Unfinished epics always hurt, but this one now hurts just a little bit less.

No comments: