Thursday, August 19, 2004

It looks like the second season of Joe Schmo will also be the last, according to producer Rhett Reese:
    The bad news, at least for us: 'Joe Schmo' has probably run its course.

    The good news, at least for now: We’re still trying to make more TV! At least one miniature series is in the can (Spike TV, Tuesday nights starting September 14th, 10 P.M., concept to be revealed soon!). Mark your calendars!


I think JS2 just wasn't as good as the first season. Neither Tim, Ingrid, nor Amanda was as likable as Matt, and attempts to make them look like they were fell flat; the video messages from the actors to the Schmos after this season's big reveal just felt canned and empty. Joe Schmo worked the first time in large part because it was completely unexpected; no one tuned in expecting that they'd be rooting for Matt by the end.

Another problem was that the cast this time around just wasn't as good as the first season's. The actors playing Bryce and Gerald were terrific, and Cammy had her moments, but TJ was a waste of time and space and Rita and Ernie just weren't that funny. (I realize I'm conflating characters and actors; leave me be.) Most of the characters were ciphers -- we were TOLD TJ was a playa, but we barely saw it; the Gerald joke was funny, but it never went anywhere. I think the first season actors did more with their characters and kept it up more completely, particularly Hutch, Molly, and Dr. Pat.

And I've never quite shaken the feeling that Ingrid was set up to figure it all out this time around. Still, I enjoyed this season a lot, in spite of my criticisms, and I'll be checking out this new series from the JS folks next month.

No comments: