Monday, October 11, 2004

Christopher Reeve

I saw the news this morning and doubt I can say anything memorable, but what's worth doing is worth doing badly. Christopher Reeve will always be the face I think of when I hear the name "Superman." I've lost count of the number of times I've watched Superman: The Movie; I was four years old when I saw it in the theater and it was one of the first DVDs I ever bought. He made me believe a man could fly, and in fighting for truth, justice, and the American way, and did it with a dignity and grace and charm that other renditions of the character have rarely approached. Since his accident in 1995, I have watched, astonished, at his continuing creative life and his activism for medical research, and I can only pray for that sort of determination and courage should I ever find my world shattered in an instant as he did. Rest in peace, Mr. Reeve, and thank you.

No comments: