Monday, October 25, 2004

The weight of office

Something struck me while I was watching the third debate (even if it's taken me weeks to get around to writing about it): George W. Bush should never have been President.

I don't mean in terms of the fiasco that was the 2000 election. Rather, it was hard to watch him and not conclude that this was a man who had never really thought about what holding this job would and could entail. You can't be President and have your hands clean. And I don't think that ever really penetrated his brain, and has helped contribute to the weird disconnect from reality we saw at times in the debates.

If he hadn't won (or run), he would have finished his term as governor of Texas and retired to that semi-royalty status that Texans grant their former governors, sat on some corporate boards or something, and had a nice quite semi-retirement. He would have been better off. So would we have been.

No comments: